THE LAWYER WHO UNDERSTOOD MARKETING BEFORE THE LEGAL INDUSTRY DID

What John Morgan taught me about brand recognition—and why lawyers need to wake up

Founder, InKozi Technologies

I met John Morgan when I was 27 years old.

I was a professional PGA Tour player from South Africa who had immigrated to the United States in 1990.

At that point, I wasn't thinking about building a technology company. I wasn't thinking about artificial intelligence, search engines, SEO, digital ecosystems, or how consumers would eventually find lawyers online.

I was simply building things.

That became a pattern in my life.

Inventions. Technology. The Mickey Sunglass Visors sunglasses concept. Software platforms. And eventually, the company I founded: InKozi Technologies.

But throughout all of those years, I watched something happen in the legal industry that fascinated me.

I watched John Morgan build something most lawyers never understood how to build:

A brand people remember.

Today, Morgan & Morgan reports more than 1,100 attorneys, 50+ practice areas, and more than $35 billion recovered for clients. The firm describes itself as America's largest injury law firm.

The numbers are impressive.

But the numbers aren't the lesson.

The lesson is the brand.

JOHN MORGAN UNDERSTOOD SOMETHING MOST LAWYERS STILL DON'T

A great lawyer can win cases.

A great law firm can have brilliant attorneys.

A great legal organization can have decades of experience.

But none of that matters if the person who needs a lawyer doesn't know you exist.

John Morgan understood that.

He didn't sit around waiting for reputation to magically find the consumer.

He built the reputation.

Television.

Billboards.

Radio.

Digital advertising.

Social media.

Public appearances.

And eventually, a national identity.

You can love his marketing.

You can hate his marketing.

You can think there is too much of it.

But you cannot argue that people don't know the name.

Morgan became a household name.

That's marketing.

HERE'S THE PART LAWYERS DON'T WANT TO HEAR

I've had conversations with lawyers who tell me:

"I don't want to pay for cases."

I understand the sentiment.

Bert: But I have a question.

Bert: You ask your client for a retainer before you know the outcome, right?

Bert: You don't know whether you're going to win the case.

The client doesn't know.

You don't know exactly how much time, effort, discovery, litigation, negotiation, or courtroom work the matter may ultimately require.

But the lawyer still expects to be paid for the professional service.

So why does the legal industry expect marketing to work differently?

Why does a lawyer expect a marketing company to prove the case before the lawyer is willing to invest in being discovered?

Brand awareness is not a case.

Brand awareness is the infrastructure that creates the opportunity for the case.

That's a completely different thing.

THE GOOGLE GAME

For years, lawyers were told the answer was simple:

Buy the keyword.

Buy the click.

Buy the ad.

Fight for position.

Optimize another page.

Do it again tomorrow.

And spend more money.

But the consumer journey is changing.

People don't always search for a lawyer by name.

They search for the problem.

"I was in a car accident."

"I need a DUI lawyer."

"I need a divorce lawyer."

"I have an immigration problem."

"I need a personal injury lawyer."

"I need a lawyer right now."

The old model was:

Lawyer → Google → Advertisement → Click → Lead

The new opportunity is:

Consumer → Problem → Discovery → Connection → Lawyer

That difference is enormous.

THAT'S WHY I BUILT INKOZI

I didn't build InKozi to become another pay-per-click advertising company.

I built it because I believed there had to be a better digital conduit between consumers and professionals.

InKozi is designed around discovery and connection.

A consumer doesn't necessarily know which lawyer they need.

They know they have a problem.

The technology should help them get from the problem to the professional.

That's the idea.

Not another directory.

Not another list of 500 lawyers.

Not another system where whoever spends the most money gets the consumer's attention.

A conduit.

NON-REFERRAL. NOT PAY-PER-CLICK.

This is where InKozi is fundamentally different.

InKozi describes itself as a non-referral platform that connects consumers with participating professionals without becoming involved in the lawyer-client relationship. The company says it does not charge providers on a pay-per-click basis and is designed to connect consumers with local professionals on demand.

We don't sell a legal referral.

We don't sell the same lead five different ways.

We don't want lawyers fighting each other every morning over who can pay Google the most for a keyword.

We build the digital presence.

We build the profile.

We build the searchable infrastructure.

We create the conduit.

Then the consumer chooses who they want to connect with.

AND WE'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS

One of the things that makes this personal for me is that Morgan & Morgan attorneys have been featured on the InKozi platform exclusively for several years.

That isn't something I suddenly decided to do because I'm writing an article about John Morgan.

I've been watching the legal industry evolve while building the technology underneath it.

I've watched lawyers recognize the importance of visibility.

I've watched consumers change how they search.

And I've watched the Internet move from ten blue links toward something much more conversational, local, immediate, and personalized.

That's why the next evolution of InKozi matters.

MEET ASK KOZI

Ask KOZI is being built for the consumer who doesn't necessarily know what to search.

Look at the screen.

Someone needs legal help.

They don't want to research 40 websites.

They don't want to scroll through three pages of advertisements.

They don't necessarily know what legal category their problem belongs to.

They want an answer.

They want a connection.

They want to know:

"Who can help me?"

That's where Ask KOZI comes in.

ASK. CONNECT. GO.

The concept is simple.

ASK.

Tell KOZI what happened.

CONNECT.

The technology helps identify relevant legal professionals based on the consumer's needs and location.

GO.

Connect with a real lawyer.

The platform is designed to make legal discovery faster and easier, with on-demand access to participating professionals. InKozi currently describes its platform as connecting consumers with local lawyers and other professionals through location-based technology.

And we're building that experience across more than 27 legal categories.

Auto accidents.

DUI.

Divorce.

Immigration.

Personal injury.

Business law.

Family law.

Employment.

Real estate.

And many more.

The consumer shouldn't have to understand the legal industry before they can find help.

That's our job.

NOT 100 LAWYERS.

THREE.

This is one of the biggest differences in the Ask KOZI vision.

We're not trying to overwhelm consumers.

We are building toward a cleaner experience where a consumer in an opportunity zone can be presented with up to three relevant lawyers.

Not thirty.

Not a page full of advertisements.

Not whoever bought the most keywords.

Not whoever spent the most money that morning.

Three opportunities to be discovered.

Then the consumer decides.

LAWYERS DON'T NEED MORE ADS.

THEY NEED RECOGNITION.

Lawyers spend years building expertise.

They go to law school.

They pass the bar.

They build practices.

They win cases.

They develop reputations.

Then many of them expect consumers to somehow discover all of that without making a serious investment in their digital identity.

That doesn't make sense.

John Morgan understood it.

He didn't become John Morgan by waiting for somebody else to tell consumers his name.

He built the name.

And the Morgan & Morgan model continues to scale. The firm's current site reports more than 1,100 attorneys and more than 50 practice areas.

That's not luck.

That's brand recognition.

THE MORGAN LESSON

I'm not suggesting every lawyer needs to become John Morgan.

I'm suggesting every lawyer needs to understand why John Morgan became John Morgan.

He understood something incredibly simple:

Recognition creates trust.

Trust creates consideration.

Consideration creates opportunity.

Opportunity creates clients.

The legal industry has mastered the last part.

It understands clients.

It understands cases.

It understands retainers.

It understands contingency fees.

What many lawyers still underestimate is the first step:

Being discovered.

GOOGLE IS NOT THE ONLY DOOR ANYMORE

Discovery is expanding.

Search engines.

Maps.

Social media.

Directories.

AI.

Voice search.

Digital profiles.

Structured data.

Conversational search.

Location-based applications.

The question for lawyers is no longer simply:

"How do I rank #1 on Google?"

The better question is:

"When somebody needs a lawyer, how many different ways can that person discover me?"

That is a completely different question.

And that is the question InKozi is designed to answer.

I DON'T NEED TO PROVE THE INTERNET WORKS.

I've built technology platforms for years.

I've watched ideas that people didn't understand become products that people eventually couldn't live without.

So when somebody asks me:

"Bert, prove InKozi is going to work."

My answer is simple:

I don't need to prove shit.

I'm not building a theory.

I'm building a technology company.

I'm building a multi-million-dollar platform around a problem that is not going away:

People need help finding professionals.

And lawyers need people to find them.

That's the market.

The technology is being built to connect the two.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT REPLACING GOOGLE.

It's about changing the question.

Google is extraordinarily good at search.

But search isn't always the same thing as connection.

If someone searches for:

"Best divorce lawyer Orlando"

they are still left with the job of figuring out:

Who should I call?

Who is available?

Who handles my type of matter?

Who is nearby?

Who do I trust?

Who will actually respond?

The opportunity is to reduce that friction.

That's what InKozi is trying to do.

THE LAWYER WHO GETS IT FIRST WINS

The next generation of legal marketing isn't necessarily going to belong to whoever spends the most money.

It will belong to the lawyers who understand discoverability.

The lawyers who build their digital identity.

The lawyers who understand local search.

The lawyers who understand structured information.

The lawyers who understand AI-driven discovery.

The lawyers who understand that a consumer's first interaction with their brand may happen before the consumer ever visits their website.

And the lawyers who understand that brand awareness is an asset.

JOHN MORGAN WAS EARLY.

When I met John Morgan when I was 27, I couldn't have known that decades later I'd be building technology designed to change how consumers find lawyers.

But looking back, the lesson was already there.

John understood repetition.

He understood positioning.

He understood recognition.

He understood that the consumer has to remember your name before they can call you.

And he understood something even bigger:

You cannot build a national brand by hoping people find you.

You build it by making sure they do.

NOW IT'S THE LAWYERS' TURN.

The next generation of legal marketing isn't simply about buying another advertisement.

It's about building the digital infrastructure underneath the brand.

That's what InKozi is doing.

No pay-per-click.

No buying individual keywords.

No selling the same consumer to five competing advertisers.

No traditional referral model.

Instead:

Discoverability.

Relevance.

Digital presence.

Consumer connection.

On-demand access.

And ultimately, a cleaner path between the person who needs help and the professional who can provide it.

THE WAKE-UP CALL

John Morgan showed the legal industry something important:

Being a great lawyer isn't enough.

People have to know who you are.

The next generation takes that one step further.

Being known isn't enough either.

You have to be discoverable when the consumer needs you.

That's why I built InKozi.

That's why we're building Ask KOZI.

And that's why I believe the lawyers who understand this shift early will have an enormous advantage.

Because here's the uncomfortable truth:

BEING THE BEST LAWYER NOBODY CAN FIND IS NOT A MARKETING STRATEGY.

John Morgan understood that.

Now it's time for the rest of the industry to wake up.

Need a lawyer?

Next time you search, search InKozi.

We're building the conduit between the consumer and the professional.

And we're just getting started.

About InKozi

InKozi Technologies is a digital discovery and connection platform designed to help consumers find and connect with local professionals. InKozi states that it is not a law-firm referral service, does not provide legal advice, and does not participate in the professional relationship between a consumer and the professional selected by the consumer.

Consumers should independently evaluate any attorney or law firm before retaining counsel. Nothing on InKozi constitutes legal advice or a guarantee of legal representation or outcome.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Is the Future of Garbage Management Heading?